Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The pre-holiday jitters

Tomorrow is valentines day. Do you know what that means? Parents scrambling to make 72 valentines for their children's classmates, plus gifts for teachers. Don't forget the pink milk and heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, followed by the special lunch packed with a heart shaped note. Off to decorate the dining room with 23,750 hearts and prepare a themey dinner for the kids. Oh, crap. It's valentines day. Run back to Crap Mart to buy husband something... Card? Motor oil? And try to find a sitter far too late in the game.

So, that's what I call the pre-holiday jitters. Trying to make everything perfect for everyone, and in the process making yourself miserable and anyone within a ten foot radius of your crafting trajectory. Tomorrow, as per tradition, husband and I will go to our reservation... With Jon our tax guy. He even files them in pink files for the occasion. That's our thing. No Kay Jeweler moment, reservations at Les Halles followed by a romantic romp at the Marriott. We do our taxes and get burgers.

I personally am so tired of trying to turn every holiday or day named after a patron saint into a day worthy of pennant flags, centerpieces, and overly complicated food. Maybe this year is the year of take out and caterers for me. Seriously! Perhaps I could spend more time playing with my kids rather than trying to find the perfect smelling candle to enhance the holiday atmosphere(guilty).

Right now I am laying down with Busy while she nurses. Boob naps are the only naps she will take. Admittedly it's only when she needs a nap that I stop moving and schlepping around my six thousand to-do lists. Why do I always have a friggin project? Two hours ago I was that person making home crafted valentines for my sons classmates followed by taping up 50 red doily hearts all over the kitchen walls. I think I'm going to stop project-ing myself and go put together puzzles with the twins.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blogging - I have missed it! I agree - I hate the overdone holidays and guilt associated with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing happened while reading this.... MY KIDS ARE FIGHTING OVER THE STUPID VALENTINES! Ha! What a ridiculous holiday for kiddie classrooms, but I guess I was uber-excited about the passing of the hearts too at that age. Love the burgers and taxes, that's how we roll as well. I do hope you and the husband at least get a few kid-free moments during taxes to gaze into each others' eyes :) Don't you just love blogging? It's the reason I am mostly sane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hitch your donkeys to my cart and get the flu. It really works, the only reason Gary gets close to me is to spray me down (literally)with a Lysol bottle, not kisses. The kids were just so happy I got out of bed to watch them eat cereal that they forgot about heart shaped pancakes, and the fact that the house will be somewhat clean and the frozen dinner will have been nuked by me will make even Gary happy tonight, I might even make "pink" milk. Valentines 2013 DONE!

    ReplyDelete